Book your 4-hour Pottery Lesson with Steve now!
Learning to throw pottery on the wheel is a huge first experience for most people who have a desire to see if they have the ‘ceramic gene.’ It’s something in your blood. You see someone throw a bowl on the wheel or have a friend who hand-builds funny birds for a living and you just can’t shake the desire to see what YOU can create with your own hands with clay.
Then you’ll get started on your ‘pottery experience’ by learning the proper steps required to throw any type of pot on a pottery wheel. You’ll learn the following:
- Exploring clay: what makes it do the things it does.
- Wedging: what it is, why it’s necessary and when it’s not.
- How the pottery wheel works.
- How to prepare your clay for the wheel.
- How to prepare your body for working on the wheel, including proper posture.
- How to center clay on the wheel.
- Coning: what the heck is it and why is it necessary.
- Compression: what happens if you don’t.
- Opening the center of the piece.
- Raising the sides while creating the walls of your piece.
- Shaping your piece.
- Finishing touches.
- Maintaining and restoring integrity to your thrown piece.
- Removing your piece from the wheel and preparing it for the next steps.
When you finish the experience, you will have a greater understand of what it takes to be a potter!
To book your lesson, simply click “Beginning Pottery Lesson” below, pick your date (all lessons are 1-5 pm) and enter your information. We’ll send you a payment link within 24 hours of booking (maximum 3 people per lesson). We’ll be in contact with more information via email after that! We can’t wait to play in the mud with you!